Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mercy vs. Justice

How do I start?

The past week this world has been turned upside down; so much devastation, so much grief. To those involved in the Nepal Earthquakes, my prayers are with you.

Yesterday I was sitting in the bustling cafe area of my uni 'studying' ...aka eavesdropping on the various conversations of the people around me. Topic of the day: Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan of the 'Bali Nine' who faced the death penalty and have just been executed (or murdered, depending on your stance).

I'm going to try to be as diplomatic as possible with this post, which is very difficult given the nature of the death penalty discussion.

First and foremost, I want to honour the lives of Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan as they were human just like the rest of us, and many will be grieving their loss today. Whether you see these two Australians as criminals or victims, the fact remains that they were people with mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, friends and loved ones, and I can't imagine the pain that those loved ones are going through right now. My heart and my prayers go out to you, may God be your comfort and your strength.



The discussions I'm hearing revolve around this idea of JUSTICE vs MERCY. I'm going to be upfront with you that I stand on the side of GRACE. My hero once stood before a woman who was caught in the act committing a crime punishable by death in that time, and He said to a crowd "Whoever of you is without sin, cast the first stone." One by one each man dropped their stones and walked away. He then gave the woman the free gift of GRACE that comes undeserved.

JUSTICE says: the men knew what they were doing was wrong and they were aware of the punishment that went with it, thus they deserve the punishment of death.
MERCY says: they did the wrong thing, but over the past 10 years in jail they have been rehabilitated, they deserve mercy but from the original punishment.
GRACE says: "I do not condemn you either, go now and leave your life of sin" (John 8:11).

I can't say who is right from the stance of justice or mercy, because I see that we all have valid points. You should follow the law of the land that you are in and there are also times in life where mercy is required. All I know is that we all need GRACE. Both Myuran and Andrew turned to the God who loved them first, and I have no doubt that they reside in heaven now experiencing the fullness of God's grace poured out upon them.

During his time in jail, as part of his rehabilitation Myuran learned to paint. I want to end with some of the art produced by artist Myuran Sukumaran in his last days.


It has been two days since the execution and people seem to be already forgetting. I post this today to help keep the conversation alive.
#endcapitalpunishment #Jesus #justice #mercy #GRACE #art #beauty #activism

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali-executions-eight-prisoners-refused-to-wear-blindfolds-as-they-were-shot-20150429-1mvm99.html

Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment