Tuesday 21 April 2015

Leading at Linden

Gallery Wanderers, Hello!

Here it is, I know you've been anxiously awaiting (for far too long) the REVEAL.

Firstly, the first prize winner, as established by Linden is.......... (drumroll please)



Susanne Castleden!!!

Scrunched Ball (Pacific Ocean)

Building The World (Mark II)

Bermuda Sunset, Rottnest Sunrise

While I liked these works, and could see the aesthetic value, I didn't consider it to be the most innovative and engaging work of the exhibition. I'm aware that this probably comes down to personal taste but the winner for me came from the creative genius of Georgie Mattingly. It was a piece called "Lovesongs from the Kill Floor" and weeks on, I am still thinking about Georgie Mattingly's film and sound recording.





Without further investigation, I was not sure whether the work was supposed to be morbid, political or comical, but as I watched and listened I found my emotions responding with both distress and humour, depending on whether my brain tuned in to the sound of meat being sliced or the sound of the radio playing pop songs and advertisements over the top. It was a very strange experience, but definitely unique. The Artist actually took on an internship at an abattoir to complete this work. That's commitment! Respect to you, Mattingly.

You may be wondering why I included a photo of hanging headphones?
Well, if you haven't noticed (my hubby didn't), the artist has been especially thoughtful about every aspect of the presentation of her work. Rather than hanging the headphones on the wall, they are hung from the ceiling just like a dead animal would hang in an abattoir ready to be slaughtered and carved.
It is this attention to detail that makes me love Mattingly's work more!

What a fantastic welcome to Melbourne from the art world.

Speaking of finer details... You will notice in the coming days and weeks the structure of Leader Follower changing. You all know I'm new to the blog world and learning every day, and this means change and progression. Just as art must change and progress to continue, so must I.

What does this mean for you?

1. One blog post per gallery visit
2. More frequent updates
3. Happy adventurers

How did I manage to do this?

It's simple... Just bring my technology to the gallery, and write the post there. And yes, I couldn't come up on this solution on my own, I had to ask my lecturer for help... Just a little glimpse into my fuzzy wuzzy brain right there.

Logging off feeling like a genius,
Renee Bell


No comments:

Post a Comment