Tuesday 28 April 2015

My First (and possibly last) Gallery Opening

Aloha.

News: I went to the Nicholas Thompson Gallery Opening.

Lesson: If you don't like crowds, don't immerse yourself in the middle of a big crowd.

I was so excited to go to my first gallery opening; I got all dressed up, I even put makeup on and coerced my hubby into the idea that we could use it as a date. We made the half hour trek from our house, drove around the area and found free parking in Fitzroy (a day in the life of a poor uni student... Anyone else feeling me here?) We then walked about a kilometre to the gallery, all the while me saying how it would be worth it just to talk to all of the art enthusiasts.
We walked in the door; the space was packed full... I think it was presumptuousness I smelled. I braced myself, still smiling, and tried to 'wander' around. It was not possible to wander. My excitement quickly dampened.

We squeezed through people with heavy 'arts accents' (a little bit like Queens English... of which my hubby Graeme, who grew up in England, told me no longer exists), all the while being cautious not to knock someone carrying wine. I kept having this vision of me bumping someone and their red wine gliding through the air in slow motion while I dived to save the life of the $10000 painting.
Wine + fancy art + crowded gallery = an accident waiting to happen.

I really did my best to enjoy the artwork but I couldn't even take a step back to see it in perspective. Eventually we decided to go, and that I would come back another time, but to be honest there was nothing that really made me stop and go "WOW".
Whether it was the exhibition itself, or the lousy atmosphere,  I might have to wait for a new exhibition to revisit.
This really does go to show how much more there is to a gallery experience than just art on a wall.

A little deflated, we drove back to our side of town and met friends in Box Hill for Asian delights.

Day rescued.

It may not have been my favourite experience, but it taught me something about myself and something about the gallery experience, and it was definitely an adventure.

Signing off for the day, quite frustrated at the group of noisy first years sitting behind me and talking about their weekend in the library... (Why are you in the library?!?)
And yes, I am that person, my brain ceases to function in noise... which possibly contributed to my bad experience at the opening?

Oh, and here's a photo. I wore red so that you can spot me... and because I love red.



I'd love to hear your horrible gallery visit stories in the comments below,

Renee Bell
Adventuring on despite obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment