Thursday 21 May 2015

Inside Info at Ian Potter...

I think we should all pause for a moment and just appreciate the alliteration in that title #myothermajorisEnglish #itsthelittlethings

...


Back to art.. Hello!

I went to Ian Potter not so recently. Sorry, I've never been a chronological kind of gal.

The great thing about studying art and writing this blog concurrently is that often I go to a gallery for a class. This visit was extra spesh as the Curatorial Manager of the gallery (Dr Vince Alessi) was making an appearance to walk us through the collection, talk to us about various processes of acquiring art and basically the life of a curator. Gotta admit, it was pretty cool. Maybe it will be my second career after Teaching? Nah, I love teaching, and I don't know how I'd go smoozing with Art Collectors and Donors.

Naturally, I struck up a conversation with Vince who was extremely down to earth. I really respect that someone in his high position is happy to share their knowledge and thoughts with a student.
Now as you may have realised, 90% of the time I am very awkward, but thankfully there is that rare 10% of the time when I see an opportunity and approach it like a smooth operator. This was the 10%.

We talked about lots of things, but the most interesting to me, and as a result you, was who he considered to be the the best/most influential Melbourne artists.

Here is the list: (off the top of his head)

Juan Ford (This is The Intermediary. NB: I love Juan Ford. His work is amazing, and totally cutting edge.)

Sam Leech (This is Cinder in Partial Dymaxion, but this guy has a huge range of work that you have to have a look at. Some of it is quite different to this.)

Darren Wardle (Teenage Wastleand... Bit boring I think.)

Reko Rennie (Installation)

Prior to looking up these artists and their work I chatted to my Art Teacher (shout out to Catherine Bell - great lecturer, great artist... can I have a HD for this mention? ;) ), who was keen to know Vince's thoughts also, and she was quite surprised about Reko Rennie.
And I understand the reason. 

Let me introduce you to Brook Andrew.
Ancestral Worhip

Jumping Castle War Memorial

(Watch this video where he talks about his Jumping Castle War Memorial) http://www.artmuseum.uq.edu.au/content/brook-andrew-jumping-castle-war-memorial

As you can see, Brook Andrew is simply way better. 

Brook Andrew and Reko Rennie are both Indigenous Australians and I love Contemporary Indigenous Australian Art. The movement speaks volumes about Australian history, activism, child removal, genocide and injustice, and their work has had a massive effect on moving Australian politics and legislation to recognise the rights of our country's first people.

When we are looking at Melbourne Artists that are influencing the world though, Brook Andrew's work packs a punch. Maybe Vince just forgot him (as it was off the top of his head), but I had to address this.

Brook Andrew is the bomb digity.

Full Stop.

Signing off for the day, ready to let Ella Fitzgerald soothe my soul into writing unit planners, rationales and reflections.

Renee Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSls3TgJT8 (some Ella for you)


No comments:

Post a Comment