Wednesday 20 May 2015

Artist vs. Artisan, and a new appreciation for Bromley & Co.


Artist: one who professes and practices an imaginative art
Artisan: a worker who practices a trade or handicraft

The difference? I thought mass production, but I'm not sure any more.

Here's the story...

Hubby and I took a trip to Ballarat a few Sundays ago, and while we were there I stumbled upon a few galleries. The most notable being Bromley & Co.
As we wandered in, my hubby asked me the age old question "Artist or Artisan?" (I love that these two words are a part of his vocabulary #welltrained)
Looking around at not only the artwork but the bits and bobs such as furniture, clothing and even wallpaper, I first announced confidently "Artisan".



We walked around and the more I discovered the more my view changed. Is this actually an Artist who is truly successful, who has not only created his own very recognisable style, but also has the business and marketing skills to make decent money doing what he loves before he carks it. Why is there this concept in my mind that if art sells well the maker must be classified as an Artisan or trinket-maker? David and Yuge Bromley may not be installing toilets in gallery spaces, or changing the direction and future of art as we know it, but he is creating something that people can appreciate and engage with.


When did I develop this attitude that 'if it is not challenging my concept of art, then it is not art.'

Do I have a warped measure of success? 

I spoke to the lady working in the shop, who was so friendly and helpful, and felt pretty bad for initially putting Bromley in the 'Artisan' pile just because he quite clearly wasn't a 'struggling artist'. I think I need to rid my mind of this idea that good art doesn't sell and can't be hung in a house, or I'll be really limiting myself. Some limit themselves by refusing to learn about contemporary art and writing it off as "something my two year old could do"; I have been limiting myself by writing off anyone who is making real money off their art. How bad is that?

Intrigued by these two Artists who had brought me back down to earth, I did a little research... Here is an excerpt from their webpage:

We (David and Yuge Bromley) usually take on projects based on our passion / obsession for art, design, interiors, fashion and generally liking to get our hands dirty with whatever creative scenario we can immerse ourselves in. Be it in the studio, planting gardens, seeking out treasures or collaborating on creative visions or with creative people it is all the same to us. 

Outcomes are varied and whether it is a shop to display our wares or a fit out for a hotel or a design for packaging or exhibiting an artist we are obsessed with, we are ultimately driven by a love for all things creative. When asked once what was the value of art, our reply was not how to value art, but to imagine a world without it was unimaginable!

I don't know about you but this speaks to the artist in me. Art is not something you do but it is something you live; it is God-breathed, it is in people and experiences, it is life.

So the difference between artist and artisan? It's imagination.


Maybe it's time for us to refresh our perspectives? This humble adventure of writing a blog has really made me think. #gettingdeep

Skipping out with a challenge,
What is art for you?
Let me know in the comments...

Renee Bell
Forever a student.

2 comments:

  1. What is art to me - this is such a great question! I agree with you when you say the difference between artist and artisan is imagination. An artisan works with the same technique and mastery of an artist, but he/she replicates the same idea - there's no different perspective than the artisan's influences. 

    I think art in the purest sense changes the way you see the world. It gives you a new pair eyes in which to view the world. Reframing or reinterpreting the the things that you never saw before. But doesn't have to be arresting, it doesn't have to be in a gallery, it doesn't have to be controversial or famous. It can be as individual as a each fingerprint is to a human. I think of the last exhibition I saw that turned me from a skeptic to a huge fan was of Damien Hirst. I thought he was just into shock tactics and just had a morbid fascination with death, mortality and cutting cows in half, but as I explored this whole body of work, I began to realise it was more than that. His piece "Black Sun", which was a plastering of dead flies in a roundal which filled an entire room, arrested me and I stood there looking at it for a very long time.  Because it distilled the notion of life, death and beauty powerfully, and was something I had never paired. Further on in his butterfly mosaics, where butterfly wings were painstakingly tiled in life sized stain glass windows, the idea evolved further from the delicate transience of life to sanctity in death and the beauty of creation. It helped me to see how death did not have to be feared or loathed, but to establish some perspective of your time on earth. But I think while it spoke immensely to me, it might not do so much to another person, so that's why I think art is so subjective at the same time. Therein lies it's power, because what you see can become a new lense for someone else. Art has to be shared in order to realise it's full power. 

    Just my musings. keep writing Renee!  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Reframing or reinterpreting the the things that you never saw before. But doesn't have to be arresting, it doesn't have to be in a gallery, it doesn't have to be controversial or famous..."
      I love that, such a good way to put it.
      I'm a big Damien Hirst fan, he is Graeme's favourite artist. I would love to see him in real life. Was the exhibition in Australia? I'd love to see it for myself!
      And thanks for the encouragement :)

      Delete