Monday 2 March 2015

My Maiden Voyage: Gallery Visit #1

Hello!
I'm back and maybe too excited for my adventure now... I've really got to find a happy medium somewhere soon.

I went exploring St Kilda this weekend past and while there I went on my maiden voyage into the lands of Melbourne Art. Hubby and I visited the Linden Centre for Contemporary Arts, a gorgeous old space for showcasing New Art.





The Gallery was hosting the Linden Art Prize which had its opening on February 27th and runs until May 3rd (my birthday!). The Linden Art Prize is an art award established for Artists graduating from a Masters or PhD in 2014. This year the Artists are Celeste Chandler, Georgie Mattingley, Jessica Ledwich, Julian Aubrey Smith, Raymond Carter, Stephanie Leigh, Susanna Castleden, and Yandell Walton.

No spoilers here, I won't tell you the Winner until the end.

I think I will dedicate a short post to each Artist, but I may change my mind part-way though and do two in one go*. I've never been the decisive type. Oh and there's a postcard bearing surprise story in the midst of these, because who doesn't like postcards and surprises?



Honestly, these Artists are all brilliant in their own right, but that is not the point of this blog. Who leads and who follows? We'll soon see.

Check back in the next 24 hours for more.

Signing off, excited and hungry for dinner,

Renee Bell
Adventurer Extraordinaire

*for the record, I did change my mind and decided to split the gallery visit into two posts, one on honourable (or not) mentions and another on those works really leading the pack. Some artists were not featured in either, but that's where you get to be Dora the Explorer and decide for yourself where they sit.


No comments:

Post a Comment